Thursday 21 June 2012

BY AIR TO JINJA

It was 10 March, early Saturday morning that our journey began. Everything was going to plan as we arrived at King Shaka, Durban’s International airport in good time to catch our domestic flight to OR Tambo International in Johannesburg.


 Goodbyes were said to my husband Mike and my daughter Cherise and off we went through departures.

We managed to visit a local shop after going through to departures called ‘eM’native collection’. This is a successful business, derived through the CAST business forum run by Westville Baptist Church volunteers.
After checking out the shop, we went through to the check in and proceeded to board our flight. We were on time and I got to sit by the window and Jean-Ray got the isle seat that he wanted, so, all were happy. We landed in Johannesburg OR Tambo Internatioanl and collected our luggage as we needed to check it onto our flight to Uganda. After doing that and collecting our boarding passes, we decided to get some lunch at the airport Wimpy where we both had a 3 tenner meal comprising of a burger, chips and a coke. During our meal Jean-Ray showed me his yellow fever certificate and asked if I had

one. Of course it was the first time I had heard of or seen it and my answer was obviously no. He suggested that we probably would not need it but he carried it with him whenever he travelled just in case he was asked for it. If only I had of had one…sigh!

We finished eating and he now needed to change some currency so we went on the hunt for a beauru de change, which we found. However, they were not able to help him and told him he needed a Standard Bank which he could find on another level. By this time he realised that we were supposed to be boarding so we started to hurry. The next thing I knew we were racing to the boarding gate which seemed an eternity away. We both ran as fast as we could and by the grace of God we made it just on time. Because we were late we were unable to choose our seats so we sat where we were booked. Jean-Ray was happy that he managed to get the isle seat whereas I got the middle seat in a three seater row.

We were happy to have made the flight. I sat next to a Ugandan doctor who was on his way back home to Kampala. The flight was 5 hours with Uganda being one hour ahead in time. The flight was pleasant and the conversation and company was good. Travelling with a pastor has its privledges as I had my own question and answer session which he could not escape, especially as he sat between me and the isle.
 We arrived at Entebe irport   at seven in the evening with a terrible start to the trip. Jean-Ray took out his passport and suddenly realised that he had lost his yellow fever certificate. He searched the airplane but it was clear that during our race to catch our flight in Johannesburg, he had lost it. We did not need the certificate however and going through customs was a breeze. We collected our bags and as we descended to the arrivals, there stood a man with a placard with Jean-Ray’s name. Our lift was there to take us on our three and a half hour journey to Jinja wher the conference was going to be held.

The journey was long, vigorours and tiring. We reached our destination, Jinja, at ten thirty tired and happy that the traveling was over. Jean-Ray went to the guest house Arise whilst I was dropped of at the house where I would spend the next 4 days of my stay in Jinja.

The house on the right belongs to Pastor Moses and his lovely wife Christine. That is where I stayed for my duration in Uganda.
Profile picturePastor Moses and his wonderful wife Christine.



No comments:

Post a Comment